Monday, March 16, 2015

Breaks and a slow leak

Tinkered with the breaks a little more and now the back break feels great, so knock on wood I have that issue licked for the time being.

There's a new issue though. I recently purchased a bike pump as I was noticing, after a month or so of riding, that the back was feeling a little low. I filled up at the local gas station and both the back and the front were down to 35 psi (the tire says keep between 40 and 60). Bike pump arrived and now I check on Sunday evenings the tire pressure and top up if needed. Last night when I attached the pump the gauge read ~20 psi, which was a little worrisome. I inflated to 60 and thought nothing of it. This morning as I'm getting the bike out the front door I give the back tire a squeeze and it feels mushier than I thought it should. Out comes the bike pump and low and behold its below 40 again. Back up to 60 I go and I'm on my way.

By the time I get to work I have to pop up a curb, which I do gently, and it feels like the curb is hitting the rim. Not good. When I'm up in the office I give the back tire a squeeze. Its mushy again. And when I put my weight on the seat and get a good look at the tire it looks like its not fully inflated.

I fear I have a slow leak somewhere. Not fun. Luckily there's a bike maintenance area that includes a tire pump just as you get on the Capital Crescent Trail so (assuming the equipment works) I should be able to fill up on the way home. Finding and patching the tire, however, is going to be more of an issue. I'm dreading taking off the back wheel since I have to worry about power and electronic cables.  I may just punt and take it to the local bike shop here in Bethesda and have them work on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment